What is E-Verify? You may have heard of it, but weren’t sure of how it could help you.
E-Verify is an Internet-based system that allows an employer – using information reported on an employee’s Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification — to determine the eligibility of that employee to work in the United States. For most employers, the use of E-Verify is voluntary and limited to determining the employment eligibility of new hires only.
E-Verify is 100% free to use. The E-Verify system is operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration.
E-Verify can mean so many different things to your staffing company:
- Added work on your Staffing Specialists day
- More paper!
- More work!
- Ugh…dealing with government paperwork!
- Most importantly: Saving you from hiring illegal aliens – thus keeping your company in the “up and up” with DHS.
Many staffing offices are leaning more towards using E-Verify. I know some staffing companies who have shied away from it because they think it’s just added work.
The biggest reason you should use it? Those who use fake documents are getting smarter and smarter and the documents are getting harder and harder to figure out if they are “fake” or not. Getting busted for employing illegal aliens is not something your staffing company has the time or energy to afford.
Save yourself the headache, the audits, the “issues” and just use E-Verify.
I have to admit it has gotten easier to use from when it was first launched — and the online training/assessment you have to take in order to use the program has improved.
Please don’t waste your time just “clicking through” the training. You need to make sure you take and understand the online training courses seriously.
You especialy need to pay attention to such things as:
- What does Tentative Nonconfirmation mean?
- What does DHS Verification in Process mean?
- How many days does the employee have to “fight” the TNC?
- What do you do when no information is returned?
- What do you do with the case results?
- How do you file the information?
I would also strongly recommend printing of the updated E-Verify User Manual. It is very helpful for answering many of the questions you may encounter while using E-Verify.
Check out the E-Verify website for more information.